Monday, January 10, 2005

Well Week One is over, the lovely Sean Williams has said his farewells, and it's straight into Week Two.

I'd dreamed that the Week Two tutor, Michael Swanwick, was a midget who made me carry him around all week on his back while he beat me around the head at regular intervals. Was happy to find out he wasn't.

I had a story up for critique today - which was a bit scary - going first before we really knew what Michael's critique style was like.

He was tough, but had good points and comments to make. I think we'll learn a lot from him - though it might be painful learning it.

Overall the story was well received by the group, but there are some issues which I need to work on. It will end up a much longer piece. It's a bit depressing to realise that the work won't end after Clarion - cos I'll have all these stories to rewrite.

Am struggling with next week's story. It, like my Week One and Week Two stories, is written from a child's perspective and, despite the fact that the stories included sex and cannibalism, some of the group seem to feel they are Young Adult. I've written another story since getting here in, about a sentient chair and a female adult, but I feel it's a bit lightweight and I'm not sure I'm going to put it up for critique.

So far everyone seems to be getting along well. I'm finding it a bit of an adjustment going from basically living alone to sharing with 5 others on my floor and 16 others within the building. I escaped early Sunday morning and went down to Southbank, ran along the river, through the Botanic Gardens and back. Just the short break was good. I must make an effort to have some 'me' time each week so I don't go nuts.

I'm having internet connection issues. The modem in my computer seems to have died. The convenors (fabulous people) are organising a replacement computer for me which will be a total lifesaver. Tess has kindly let me jump onto her internet connection at times, but I need to do some research for my next story and that will involve a fair amount of time online.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home