Friday, January 05, 2007

Well I've done it. I've finally accepted my offer of a position in the Postgraduate Certificate in Creative Writing at Macquarie University.

I've been thinking about this for some years - but always had good reasons not too - mostly related to time and a fear of study.

About halfway through last year I started thinking about it again so I rang the convenor and had a nice chat. No essays. No mindless dissection of great poets of the 20th century - just writing about whatever you want and lots of it.

Well - that's what she's promised me. Even then I delayed. I need to get 12 credit points to do this thing and each of those credit points will cost me $300. So that's a bit of dosh to come up with - specially when we're running a mortgage and a car and a wardrobe and have a champagne habit....

In the end I'm signing up for 4 credit points (1 subject) for first semester. I'll worry about how to manage the money and the time for 8 credit points in semester two later.

I am somewhat nervous of returning to university - being old and wrinkled and many years out of study as I am. What happens if those smart young things are cleverer than I? More talented, prettier?

The next hurdle is enrolling... and working out when class starts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home