Thursday, October 12, 2006

Me: I've written a novel.

You: Wow, that's great. Well done. What's it called? I'll look it up next time I'm in a bookshop.

Me: It's not published.

You: Oh well that's still a great effort, well done. I've always meant to write a novel. I'll get around to it one day. What's your's about?

Me: It's kind of about these kids who live in this country town, that's in this sort of fantasy, kind of vaguely post-apocalyptic type world.

You: Fantasy hey? I saw Lord of the Rings. Great movie. That's a lot of words

Me: No, it's not that kind of fantasy. It's not that long either really. Actually it's a young adult novel.

You: Well that's good. Look at Harry Potter - sold millions.

Me: It's not like Harry Potter, well it's got a train in it and kids, but no magic or monsters or anything.

You: So have you started sending it out to publishers yet?

Me: No it's not ready for that. When I said it was finished I meant the first draft, well it's more than a first draft, but it will need lots of changes. I'll probably re-write it three or four times, then send it out, then it will get rejected all over the place, because I it's full of holes, actually it's terrible. The most ordinary novel the world has ever seen - like ever.. in fact I don't think I want to let anyone read it....

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. That's pretty much how I feel about my first novel. Though I did send it out to one publisher and about five agents, then stuck it in a desk where it hasn't seen the light of day since.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I have mood swings. Basically I'm pretty proud of myself for stringing so many words together. One after the other.

At least I know I can write a novel now!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home