Friday, September 08, 2006

Justine has posted on 'How to write a novel'. And lots of its true. As someone who is struggling with their first novel attempt I was amused by the advice to not bother with a plot outline if writing your first novel. Hear, hear!

I am stumbling my way through on gut intinct and the seat of my pants.

Little of the way I've approached writing this novel is really text book stuff. I've written and re-written small segments rather than just ploughing on through to a complete first draft. I've come back and tried to fix plot holes and logic errors as I've gone and, at the half-way point, I stopped writing for a few months while I tried to work out what the hell would come next. I kind of new where I wanted to end (at least I thought I did) I just wasn't sure how to get from 30,000 words to that point without a large gap!

I do think I've learned a lot though. Next time I'd probably tried to have a plot outline - even it it was scribbled on the back of an envelope. I'd try and leave less characters hanging.... first shoe dropped, no idea what the second shoe might be or when it might come.

Of course all this wisdom garnered and still not quite finished that first draft. Perhaps this is just another procrastination aid - like computer games and housework!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If the advice works, who cares if it's a bit of a procrastination aid. I'm cheering for you to keep at it.

Go Susan!

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home