Sunday, July 01, 2007

It was chewing too much of my life I tell you. It just has to go! University that is. Having made the decision I feel I find myself much more in a mood for writing again...

Took my YA novel MS to the 'Writing for Children and Young Adults' Festival yesterday and had a one-on-one session with Mark McLeod. He gently but firmly pointed me at some flaws (like there wasn't enough tension early enough, I needed to show the contrasts between the novel's world and the real world more clearly. Good thing I have time off booked for August - I'm going to be busy.

Also bumped into the lovely Margo Lanagan - who talked about what it was to be considered 'edgy' in the world of YA fiction. Sex, drugs and not spelling everything out for the reader if you were wondering. Edgy might mean you're literary - but will usually mean you are not as well paid as say.... J.K. Rowlings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home