Tuesday, October 11, 2005

How can anyone manage to have multiple writing projects in train at the one time. I for example currently have 3 and that's more than I can cope with.

Two unfinished short stories (one very unfinished - the other waiting for that extra idea that will convert it from ordinary to better) and an unfinished YA novel.

Margo has about a gazillion - as does Shane. How does the mind cope - where do all those brilliant ideas come from - how come your brains aren't exploding?

Of course the more writing projects one is working on, the greater the procrastination ability. As you use the next story to avoid the first... and so on.

And a big thanks to Scott Westerfeld's 'Uglies'. In reading it I suddenly realised that I was being too nice to my protag - I had to make all her worst dreams come true or the story was boring. A vital turning point indeed! (And 'Uglies' is a good read as well).

1 Comments:

Blogger Shane Jiraiya Cummings said...

Yeah, I do have a gazillion stories on the go, but this:

"Of course the more writing projects one is working on, the greater the procrastination ability. As you use the next story to avoid the first... and so on."

... is absolutely spot on!

My only saving grace is that I have a scattershot attention span - so I do bits'n'pieces until eventually all the projects just complete themselves at the same time.

Stick with three or less, I agree that any more than that will do your head in!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home