Monday, January 09, 2006

I don't read as much as I used to, or as fast. This is what Clarion South and 30k plus of critical reading a night for six weeks did to me.

Now I read slowly, I mull over a book for a week perhaps more. I thought my days of chewing through something from cover to cover in one long langorous afternoon were gone. Then I picked up a book by Philip Pullman called 'Northern Lights'. I browsed slowly few the first few chapters - realising that it was well written but not really connecting with the characters, then around the quarter way mark 'BAM'. Folks I gobbled through the second half of that book in a matter of hours! (Love them sentient polar bears!)

Was it good? Largely yes. Characterisation was good, writing was good, world building was good. In the closing few pages there might have been a couple of plot flaws, maybe even a logic hole - but I just didn't care.

But enough of this - I have at least five unfinished writing projects on the boil.

1 x flash
2 x short story re-writes
1 x short story mid-way point
1 x YA novel

Must put some proper words on paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home